Koch Center Mural
design by Shawn Zorka
created by UE Department of Art
MOSAIC and EVALUATION PAPER:
The Mosaic will be a hands-on project to be completed that is related to the Byzantine mosaics of the Early Christian era. Subject
matter will be provided and students must select a type of tesserae to
execute the work. The page should be mounted on a stiff backing board
and the tesserae can be attached with glue or similar material. The mosaic
will be due February 11, 2005. The design was derived from this 6th
Century original. Other original designs accepted.
The Evaluation paper will be a subjective evaluation of a piece
of art. Students should visit the Evansville Museum of Arts and Science
and pick a work to write about. Then, using terminology and insight gained
in the context of the course, write a 1500 word evaluation of the formal
and contextual attributes of the work. Additional research may be done
on the artist or content of the work. Non-traditional writing formats
will be accepted with permission of instructor. The mosaic and paper will
be 100 points each and will account for 10% of the final semester grade.
The Evaluation paper is due April 8, 2005.
The paper must have the following characteristics:
ASSIGNMENT & EXAM SCHEDULE:
- an evaluation of the formal characteristics of the work
- an evaluation of the contextual characteristics of the work
- an evaluation of the conceptual characteristics or content of the work
- have appropriate citations to denote any information taken directly from other sources
- have a bibliography that directs a reader to the sources of the citations and other source material
- be submitted to turnitin.com, the class ID is 1234868 and the password is leonardo.
- students need to create their own user account unless they already use turnitin.com for another class
|Read Chapter 1, pp 3-23.|
Read Chapter 2, pp 25-66.
Read Chapter 3, pp 71-94.
Read Chapter 4, 97-110.
Exam 1, Chapters 1-4.
Read Chapter 5, pp. 113-126.
Read Chapter 6, pp. 129-140.
Read Chapter 7, pp. 143-154.
Read Chapter 8, pp. 157-183.
Read Chapter 9, pp. 187-205.
Read Chapter 10, pp. 209-229.
Read Chapter 11, pp. 233-256.
Exam 2, Chapters 5-11.
Read Chapter 12, pp. 261-281.
Read Chapter 13, pp. 287-313.
Read Chapter 14, pp. 319-340.
Read Chapter 15, pp. 343-371.
Read Chapter 16, pp. 375-394.
Read Chapter 17, pp. 399-420.
Evaluation Paper Due.
Exam 3, Chapters 12-17.
Read Chapter 18, pp. 425-460.
Read Chapter 19, pp. 465-485.
Read Chapter 20, pp. 451-494.
Exam 4, Chapters 18-20