Introduction to Psychology
University of Evansville
Syllabus: Click PSYC 121H SYLLABUS.htm
Class Calendar: Click PSYC 121H CALENDAR
Assignments and Grades: Click Blackboard Academic Suite
Examples of Good Papers to Review before You Start:
(Posted with Permission of the Authors)
MAJOR PAPER REWRITE OPTION:
With the exception of the last paper, you may rewrite and resubmit papers to raise your grade:
(1) You must correct all the errors marked in red by the Instructor.
(2) For scores below B, you must also visit the Writing Center (EXCEL Success Center) for their review and help improving your revision. Please mention that your Instructor requests they comment on both organization and grammatical problems. The Instructor must receive a Writing Center "Conference Summary" concerning your visit. (You may always get help from the Writing Center for both new assignments and revision assignments.)
(3) You must resubmit the file to TurnItIn.com as a Revision.
(4) You must resubmit a printout of your revision (stapled on front of the graded copy) to the Instructor within 10 days of the paper's return to you.
SELECTED RESOURCES AND HYPERLINKS:
Association for Psychological Science at http://www.psychologicalscience.org/ (see Student Notebook).
National Association of Social Workers at http://www.socialworkers.org/ with information for students at https://www.socialworkers.org/profession/overview.asp.
Social Psychology Network at http://www.socialpsychology.org/ provides a comprehensive list of links to both social and general psychology sites. Search option.
Society for Neuroscience at http://www.sfn.org/ for general information about neuroscience and links to other related websites.
LearnPSYCHOLOGY at http://www.learnpsychology.org/ for general information about specializations, resources, and careers in psychology and behavioral neuroscience.
WRITING GUIDE HYPERLINKS:
>General Websites: Provide short guides for specific aspects of writing….
UE WRITING CENTER for help with all papers: You are encouraged to have tutors review papers before first submission as well as revisions.
Internet Public Library links for good writing at http://www.ipl.org/div/aplus/links.htm#writing.
Paradigm Online Writing Assistant at http://www.powa.org/.
Wisconsin general writing guides at http://www.wisc.edu/writing/Handbook/index.html.
MLA (most everything else) documentation at http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/. Also see the Hodges’ Harbrace Handbook.
>Citing your sources: Nothing is original….
Plagiarism information at http://www.writing.utoronto.ca/advice/using-sources/how-not-to-plagiarize.
>Thought behind the writing: Be interested… Be logical….
Thesis organization and outlining tips at http://users.edte.utwente.nl/lanzing/cm_home.htm (see example concept map).
Critical thinking websites at http://www.austhink.org/critical/.
Full-text Skeptical Inquire articles at http://www.csicop.org/si/online.html (good examples of the critical attitude).
You can get help from our Counseling Center at Ridgway University Center, Room 204 (488-2663 for an appointment).
TO FIND OUT MORE:
UE LIBRARY: To check the card catalogs of our library as well as other nearby libraries, click http://libraries.evansville.edu/, then click Find Books and Articles, then A-Z Databases (try PsycINFO) You can access everything from your home PC with your Student ID number (click Off-Campus Access):
Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy is a useful resource that reviews specific illnesses, together with their etiology, diagnosis, prognosis and standard treatment. Free full-text version available online. Search physical illnesses and psychiatric disorders at http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual/. Section on psychiatric disorders is greatly improved and now in synch with DSM.
Psych Central: Dr. John Grohol's Mental Health Page at http://psychcentral.com/ emphasizes consumer information. Search option.
1. Patrick Litteken, 2. Matthew Hummel, 3. Matthew Carter, 4. Rachel Anderson, 5. Atanas Nedyalkov, 6. Andrew Nogar, 7. Jordan Wells, 8. Riette Kotze.
1. Graham Melendez, 2. Bethany Barry, 3. Ben Menke, 4. Danielle Nichols, 5. Jordan Gygi, 6. Shane Reuter, 7. Nick Schroeder, 8. Luke Stevenson, 9. Megan Vallowe, 10. Arthur Adye, 11. Andrew Lane, 12. Leandra Hicks, 13. Jennifer Schottstadt, 14. Clara (Annie) Shackelford, 15. Duong ("Ju-ong") Pham
1 Raven Riley, 2 Katie Parchem, 3 Natalia Potrzuski, 4 Julia Dick, 5 Alex Thompson, 6 Bryce Mitchell, 7 Sierra Ryan, 8 Brandon Shufflebarger, 9 Ashlee Springer, 10 Laura Beyers, 11 Megan Atteberry, 12 Nicky Lodewyk, 13 Guy Wyant, 14 Errica King, 15 Adeel Siddiqui, 16 Eric Wenz.
1. Bonnie Green, 2. Danielle Nagrodski, 3. Carly Black, 4. Sarah Underwood, 5. Beth Gion, 6. Jackie Rice, 7. Drew Schoenian, 8. Robyn Umans, 9. Marissa Stewart, 10. Tyler Shelton, 11. Emily Lloyd, 12. McLane Crowell, 13. John McCorstin.
1 Becky Bruns, 2 Tara Smith, 3 Erin Walsh, 4 Alice Stinetorf, 5 Brad Hubartt, 6 Mallory Walker, 7 Erin Wilhelmi, 8 Bo Ouranos, 9 Waseaka (Teri) Bush, 10 Patricia Veronica Lin, 11 Eloho Okeze, 12 Roger Knight, 13 Bethany Rouch, 14 Andrea Gentry, 15 Anon, 16 Amber Thibodeau, 17 Heath Tuley.